[A Powerful Lead Generation Strategy for Challenger Brands
December 1st, 2010 • Written by John Gumas
Lead generation is a critical component to all Challenger Brand marketing strategies. But which strategies and tactics are most effective for Challenger Brands to attract customers? The following are some guidelines from our Challenger Brand Lead generation process.
1. Specify and profile who your ideal lead is. This may seem obvious, but it’s the main reason lead generation strategies often fall flat. Start with basic demographics such as gender, age, education, occupation, industry, etc. Here’s the key… be sure to focus on people and not companies.
2. What are your lead’s behaviors? Where do they go? What do they do? Where do they spend their time and money? A good way to get this information is by going to the LinkedIn profiles of potential customers. Ask them these questions and see what you find out. Armed with this information, create a list on Twitter.
3. Make your website an oasis of information. Your business is not just looking for leads: these leads are also looking for businesses to solve specific problems too. If your website isn’t speaking to the specific elements that your leads are looking for, then they won’t find you.
4. Greet and nurture your leads. Would you ever invite anyone to a meeting or dinner party and then ignore them? Be sure to stay connected with leads and provide them with educational information that positions you as a thought leader and helps them choose you.
5. Track and Measure. We use a feature on Google Analytics called ”goals” that allows you to set parameters of what you expect your website visitors to do and then measures the degree to which they actually do that.
6. Test and Change. What looks nice doesn’t always attract the right leads. Test different versions of your website to see which version attracts and converts your audience into a lead. Sometimes the smallest adjustments can make a huge difference.
The key for all Challenger Brands is to decide who your target leads are; set goals around how many leads you want and what you want them to do when they interact with your website/marketing materials. Most importantly, be clear about what information you can provide leads so that they can choose you over the competition.
Be sure to check out our new book, Marketing Smart-a collection of proven marketing strategies and tips to help Challenger Brands take on their larger competitors… and win!