[Have you ever looked through a magazine and come across an ad that just looked bad? We all have. Now, as advertising agencies and professionals, have you ever wondered what your prospects and customers think when they come across one of your ads?
A recent study found that most print and digital ads got very bad marks from readers. The study concluded that most ads, especially those in the B2B category, have become too much like “PowerPoint slide presentation” ads.
Below are some of the highlights of this recent study. As you read through this, take an objective look at your own advertising to see if you are guilty of any of these findings:
- 74% of the respondents said that ads try to say or show too much, so the core message gets lost.
- 66% felt the messages were too generic and did not address specific concerns or questions of the target audience.
- 39% felt that ads were primarily company chest pounding.
- 28% said that ads lacked passion or emotion.
- 20% said the approach was too safe and did not take enough creative risks to get the audience’s attention.
- 19% believed ads contained expected stock photography or bad clip art.