[You can learn a lot from spam. We all get those emails selling us everything from investment opportunities in Nigeria to enhancements of every kind. No matter how we beef up our Internet filters, these emails always seem to sneak their way through into our inboxes.
So how do they get past our protection? Well, it doesn’t happen by accident. There is some very sophisticated e-marketing happening here. And one thing is for sure: they wouldn’t keep sending them if they didn’t work.
So how can you learn from their tactics to make your opt-in email programs even stronger? Here are just a few ideas:
- Your subject line is vital. If it isn’t compelling, you’ll get no further. Tell them why they can’t afford to stop reading.
- Brevity works. You don’t need to pack every fact into each email. One key message per email should be your rule of thumb.
- The proper frequency is critical. Sending just one piece usually doesn’t work. But sending too often can backfire. A campaign that has a consistent, branded theme is always a great way to keep your message flowing.
- Know your audience. Before you start, create a fictional profile of your typical buyer and try to speak directly to that person.
- It’s not about you, so cut straight to the benefits. No one cares about your history or how beautiful your offices are. They just want to know what you can do for them.
Naturally, we are not endorsing that you start sending spam. But there’s no reason why you can’t borrow from their proven e-marketing techniques. Just remember, use your new knowledge for good, not evil!
Until next month…