[We’ve all seen them. Sometimes we’re at home flipping through a magazine or trade journal. Maybe you’re driving in your car listening to the radio. Or you’re sitting at home watching television. Suddenly it happens””that great ad that just grabs your attention and makes you want to buy.
So what makes a good ad a great ad?
1. It Entertains””If you can’t entertain or titillate your audience, then your ad is boring””plain and simple. And if your ad is boring, then you just wasted the cost of that media insertion because no one will engage. Remember, if you are asking someone to give you some of their valuable time, make it worth it.
2. Shock and Surprise””Predictability is boring. Great ads shock or surprise people in a way that gets them to remember your message and your product.
3. Get to the Point””There’s no time to spare in ads today, so it’s important that you get to the point””immediately. Make sure that your benefit is clear and easy to understand and your offer is obvious.
4. Keep Your Ideas Fresh””Just like fashion, ads can go out of style. Make sure that your ads are always consistent with (or ahead of) current trends and styles. Be careful about recycling old ideas, unless you are sure that the market is ripe for them.
5. Coin a Catchphrase””One little phrase can make or break an ad campaign. Do you remember “Where’s the Beef?”, “I can’t believe I ate the whole thing,” or “What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas”? If you can be this clever, imaginative or just plain lucky, your brand will live forever.
Until next month…