[There seems to be more and more pressure on marketing professionals these days to deliver greater results, with fewer resources and in less time. As a result, many marketing professionals are taking shortcuts to get there faster.
The fact is there is no fast way to greater results. No marketing department or advertising agency should have a drive-up window. Shortcutting the process is an extremely dangerous proposition. The fastest way to generate the greatest returns from your marketing programs is to make the strategic planning process the mainstay of everything you do.
So before you decide to “whip up” your next ad, brochure, direct mailer or digital marketing campaign, remember this:
- If you can’t describe how you are truly unique and relevantly different from your competitors, DON’T START.
- If you can’t describe your ideal target customer in detail, DON’T START.
- If you don’t have a detailed plan, complete with realistic objectives and goals, DON’T START.
- If you can’t describe the results you are expecting to achieve, DON’T START.
- If you don’t have a plan to follow up on the leads you generate, DON’T START.
Don’t shortchange the process. Rarely do shortcuts yield the results you want. If you take the time to go through the proper strategic planning process up front, your programs will actually get produced faster and more cost effectively.
Check out our new book, Marketing Smart, at marketingsmartbook.com
Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.