Recently, we have noticed that many clients look at their social media and email marketing strategies as separate programs. We believe that email needs to be part of your overall social media program and integrated together into one, very cohesive effort.
In order to maximize your online efforts, think about combining your social media, email and website strategies into one seamless and integrated program; this is the approach we personally take with our marketing advertising services. A good way to look at this is to consider your website as the home and repository for everything you do with your social media and email campaigns working in tandem as your distribution tools.
So why should email be integrated into your social media programs? A recent study of moderate social media users found that their preferred brands use email as the main method of communication. So how can you best integrate your social media and emails?
The following are five suggestions:
Give each channel its own strategy – The goal of your social media campaigns should not be to add quantity. Your goal is to add quality by engaging with your audience. To make this happen, first understand how your audience uses each network.
The following are the typical uses for each channel:
- Email: highly-relevant, personalized content
- Facebook: promotions, product updates, fun and entertainment
- Twitter: special offers, sharing content
- LinkedIn: networking, lead generation, sharing content
Integrate your social media contacts – We have found that getting new contacts is much more difficult than integrating them. Try integrating your existing social media fans to your email lists. It’s easier to bridge an existing fan over to your other networks than it is to find a new one.
Some suggestions to make this happen quickly include:
- Setting-up email opt-in forms on your social pages
- Adding social buttons to your emails
- Offering prizes to create cross-channel referrals
Use email as your Conversation starter – Typically, email is not the best format in which to develop social conversations, but it can be a great kick-starter. Tactics such as posing a question is a great way to draw your reader into the discussion. This can drive traffic to your social pages using a more subtle approach.
Be sure to consider the following:
- Your questions must be thought-provoking and relevant
- Ask your audience for suggestions on topics
- Be controversial to capture their attention, but don’t go so far as to alienate your audience
- Your questions should support your thought-leadership position
Promote your Email newsletter within your social networks – This strategy is a great way to connect with people that aren’t currently on your newsletter list and show them what they’re missing.
Think of your newsletter more like a magazine, something that people actually want to read. Share information, resources, opinions and anything else that your research says your readers’ want. Remember, it’s all about the quality and relevance of the content you provide.
We suggest the following:
- Give your newsletter a theme and own that niche
- Post to Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn
- Engage others by commenting on their blog, social pages, etc. and include your newsletter
- Be sure that each email newsletter has its own, dedicated URL
Develop a powerful call to action strategy – Make your call to action the focus. Don’t make the mistake of hiding it at the bottom. The more visible it is, the more urgent it will become to the reader. If you have a well thought-out call to action you will significantly increase your immediate response.
Try following these rules:
- Develop creative messaging that is consistent to your brand and avoid generic action statements
- Keep it simple, highlight only one call to action at a time
- Make your desired action clear but don’t be pushy
Social media strategies are ever evolving. But the one thing we believe is constant is your clients’ need for valuable content. Try integrating your social media and email strategies into one and we are sure you will like the results you will see.